13 Sep 2017
STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY H.E. MR. VIRACHAI PLASAI, AMBASSADOR AND PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND TO THE UNITED NATIONS, CHAIR OF THE GROUP OF 77, AT THE ADOPTION OF THE NEW URBAN AGENDA AT THE 68TH PLENARY MEETING OF THE SEVENTY-FIRST SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 23 December 2016)
1. I have the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. The Group would like to express our appreciation to the President of the General Assembly for the adopted resolution which expresses the profound gratitude to the Government and the people of Ecuador for hosting the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat III) and endorses the New Urban Agenda.
3. Habitat III was the first intergovernmental conference to take place after the historic year of the adoption of the outcomes of four major conferences related to sustainable development. The Conference contributed significantly to our efforts towards the effective management of the challenges of rapid urbanization, and provide an opportunity to promote a positive, mutually reinforcing relationship between cities and their surroundings, across the human settlements continuum.
4. The Group participated in the Habitat III process very actively and constructively, particularly in the negotiations of the New Urban Agenda. We thank development partners for working with us in order to reach a meaningful outcome which will guide us towards sustainable urban development and human settlements in the next twenty years.
6. The Group are of a firm belief that sustainable urban development and human settlements can be a key driver of sustainable development in national and sub-national development plans. We are guided by a vision of cities and human settlements characterized by quality of life, equity, sustainable environment and an inclusive economy, ensuring cities and human settlements as a positive force for achieving sustainable development.
5. In closing, the Group of 77 and China reiterate our unwavering commitment in the implementation as well as the follow up and review of the New Urban Agenda. We look forward to the recommendations of the independent assessment and the two day High-Level Meeting of the General Assembly during the seventy-first session where the issues of the effective implementation of the New Urban Agenda and the positioning of UN-Habitat will be discussed.
I thank you.